Sunday 5 March 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 14: Norwich Stitch

Welcome to Sunday Stitch Night School, yes, today's lesson is an evening class.

The lesson today is in honor of the charming city of Norwich in East Anglia, UK.
I have always loved this city. Maybe you would take it to your heart, too. You can read about this fine city here on Visit Norwich.
For us who are interested in fabric and textile there are also the Norwich shawls to be impressed by. Read this interesting article.
Many years ago I made a stump work portrait where the lady is wearing a 'Norwich Shawl'. (It is actually a small scrap of Liberty fabric.)
Because of this love of Norwich and its shawls, I was delighted when I found a stitch called Norwich Stitch. It is a Canvas stitch and also goes by the name 'Waffle Stitch'. As far as I can see, in no way does it have anything to do with the patterns on a Norwich shawl, nor does it have any connection with the city itself. Or, is the square pattern an image of Norwich Castle, a cube like building, or do the many crossed over stitches mirror the narrow lanes in the city centre, or the Cloisters at the Cathedral? Or...

Enough ramblings, over to the workings of Norwich Stitch:
Does it look complicated? Well, I thought so, until I realized the easy way of stitching this.

 First you need to set the stitch area, which should be a square of an even number of holes. Here I used 8x8 holes.
Begin by making a large Cross Stitch, 1-2  2-3 3-4
 
then take the needle out at 5, and go across on the bias to 6
 and out at 7


Then go across on the bias, in at 8 and out at 9
across on the bias

If you still think it is confusing, just give it a try and you will (hopefully) soon get the hang of it.

On my Aida sampler I made these squares.
 The pink square is worked on an uneven number of holes, and the variegated thread gives an unusual pattern.

Homework:
Fill a square with Norwich stitches
 and make whatever you want with this variegated thread.


Canvas work is called Stramaljbroderi in Swedish, but I have not found any names for the many individual stitches. Does anyone know of names in other languages, I'd be delighted to add them. Mattia has just given me the French name - Point Gaufré.







23 comments:

Stitching Lady said...

Oooooo, this is a stitch! A good filling one. And your tutorial is again perfect. And I say hello to your elegant Norwich lady, very nice.

Queeniepatch said...

I was almost backing out when I saw the instructions in the embroidery book, but once I understood that you go across on the bias and then take a straight stitch (with the thread on the back of the embroidery) within the same quarter triangel of the square, I found it logical and EASY.

Janie said...

Your square filled with Norwich stitch is striking, Queenie. I'll read about Norwich and its shawls, looks interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

margaret said...

I have used this stitch in the past it is very effective. Never been to Norwich it seems so far away from anywhere else in the UK and lacking in motoreays in East Anglia mind you no longer have a car so no motorways do not effect me

Queeniepatch said...

I hope you have a good read.

Queeniepatch said...

True, true, Norwich is in the backwaters of everywhere, but that just adds to its charm! It is a historic city but pulsing with activities.

Tanya said...

I like your Norwich stitch. It looks so complicated but you diagram it so that it makes it look possible.

carorose said...

I have past through Norwich to other towns in East Anglia but not stayed there. I like this stitch.

Queeniepatch said...

It is more than possible, it is easy!

Queeniepatch said...

Was that when you went to Lyng to see the angel embroidery in the church?

Annet said...

Another pretty canvas stitch. I'm looking forward to see how it looks in this variegated thread.

carorose said...

Yes, that's right. One branch of my family comes from this area.

Queeniepatch said...

That is what I, too, am looking forward to! I saw some work on Pintrest where they had used space dyed thread to great effect.

Pamela said...

I like this stitch and you make it look so easy!

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,
le nom français de ce point est :
- point gaufré = waffle stitch
Mattia

chitra said...

very interesting stitch. itching to work.

Queeniepatch said...

It is an 'auto pilot' stitch once you get the hang of it. Enjoy!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you Mattia for always supplying me with the French name. I will update the blog.

Queeniepatch said...

Try it!
I love the diamond in the square look!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It's a nice stitch, I've used it in the past. I love your stump work lady.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you. I was pleased with her, too. She is made out of small scraps. I think the velvet in the hat was a small piece of fancy ribbon glued onto a piece of silk worm cocoon, and adorned with three stray beads from the bottom of a drawer...

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant filling in stitch. I haven't been to Norwich, it looks a beautiful city, it is quite a long way from where I live, may be one day I will take a trip.

Queeniepatch said...

It is worth making a detour to get to Norwich! There are a number of music pubs, lots of art galleries and a lively market. There is the Castle museum, Strangers Hall, the Forum, the Cathedral, the river, the lanes, the university and Sainsbury's centre for visual art.... many small shops as well as the usual shopping malls....